[EM] Defensive strategy for Condorcet methods KM

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 15 04:04:08 PDT 2011

Hi Kristofer,

--- En date de : Lun 13.6.11, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at lavabit.com> a écrit :
> If you want something that deters burial strategy, how
> about what I called FPC? Each candidate's penalty is equal
> to the number of first-place votes for those who beat him
> pairwise. Lowest penalty wins.
> Burying a candidate may help in engineering a cycle, but it
> can't stack more first-place votes against him.
> Unfortunately, it's not monotone.

That's a simple and interesting method. I can see the mechanism is to
remove control of the *strength* of the Y:Z win from the X voters. Then
measuring strength as FPs is fairly likely to correctly discard the win
of the least important candidate.

I guess that anything else that does something similar would have a
similar advantage.

Kevin Venzke