[EM] C//A

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Jun 12 15:05:42 PDT 2011

fsimmons at pcc.edu   Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:42 PM
> I think the following complete description is simpler than
> anything possible for ranked pairs:
>
> 1.  Next to each candidate name are the bubbles (4) (2) (1).
> The voter rates a candidate on a scale from
> zero to seven by darkening the bubbles of the digits that add
> up to the desired rating.

Given the reported levels of illiteracy and its arithmetic equivalent in the USA, in the UK and elsewhere, I would be extremely
doubtful if any ballot system involving such addition would be acceptable for public elections.  If you want voters to rate each
candidate on a scale from 1 to 7, you would need to have seven separate columns (bubbles).

The challenges for voting system and ballot design arising from illiteracy are considerable.  The separate challenges arising from
disabilities of various kinds should also not be ignored in designing for public elections.

James Gilmour