[EM] Defensive strategy for Condorcet methods

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 08:58:19 PDT 2011

> In SODA I'm most worried about the Approval related problems,

Do you mean the near-clone game-of-chicken problems? These apply to WV
Condorcet methods too (although less-obviously to an unsophisticated voter),
and with margins, there is the opposite burial problem:

35: A>B
25: B
40: C

What if, instead of being a game of chicken between A and B, this is a trick
where A is burying their natural ally C?

In general, I think that by reducing the number of players in the game of
chicken, and providing perfect information to those players, SODA does more
to avoid these problems than any non-asset, non-revoting-runoff system I can
think of off the top of my head. The game of chicken is not an easy problem
to solve, because if you try too hard, you end up with the opposite problem.

> maybe also possible trading of votes, but it is an excellent idea and
> method anyway. In general a good approach when recommending different
> methods could be to list sincerely the benefits and problems and recommended
> use for each good method (good = can be considered to be a local optimum in
> some environments). The list of recommended methods could be a long one, a
> short one, targeted for certain target audiences or maybe all possible
> (single-winner and/or multi-winner) environments.
>

>From my experience talking to normal people not already interested in voting
or math, I think that it is very important to keep your list of proposals
short. 1 is good, 2 is tolerable, 3 is approximately pointless, and anything
more is clearly counterproductive.

Since I understand that I'm probably not going to convince the condorcet
supporters here, I'm willing to include a Condorcet proposal. Since I value
offering a simple option, I think that proposing (Some Condorcet) or SODA is
better than just advocating (Some Condorcet). Still, I strongly urge that
our statement should not go beyond two well-explained proposals, though it
should endorse by simple mention a number of other systems (Schulze, Range,
MCA, MJ...).

Jameson