[EM] Challenge - give an example where FBC is violated for Condorcet methods

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 11:58:33 PDT 2011

Yes, Schulze's link gives a clear counterexample. The basic insight is that
Condorcet methods tend to violate the FBC only when there is a sincere
cycle, and burial/truncation criteria when there is a sincere CW. I am not
aware of a proof to this effect, though I suspect that one would be possible
with the right choice of methods. Still, it seems to be a clear enough
principle to serve as a rule of thumb.

Since I believe that cases where there is a sincere CW are both more common
and more important to get right (because when there's a cycle, there are
many arguably-right answers), I therefore would argue that violations of the
FBC are less-important than violations of burial/truncation. Your mileage
may vary.

Jameson Quinn