[EM] Remember Toby

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Jun 4 07:56:16 PDT 2011

On Jun 4, 2011, at 3:16 AM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2011, at 10:30 PM, Dave Ketchum wrote:

>> Ranking:
>>    IRV ranking, learned by many, is a start, with equal ranking a
>> trivial addition.
>>    Approval voting permissible and usable as valid Condorcet by
>> using a single rank number.
>>
>> How many rank numbers?  Three, as in IRV, is  probable reasonable
>> minimum.
>
>> More needs thought, but not necessarily many - usability of equal
>> ranks minimizes true need for more.
>
> certainly agree with that.  that was only a problem for IRV (i guess
> it would be a problem for Borda, if these total points needed to
> remain integer valued).  i don't consider "usable for IRV or Borda"
> to be a particularly valuable property of a voting system.  i think
> Approval requires more thinking from the voter and i think Score
> does also.  and i don't like at all this Asset system thems trying
> to foist upon us (with its smoke-filled rooms and all).  the ranked
> ballot requires only for a voter to decide between any two voters
> just as they would if it were only those two.  and Condorcet counts
> it precisely "one person, one vote", just as a two-candidate simple-
> majority election counts it.  what the voters have to accept is that
> they have to decide about *every* candidate, not just their
> favorite, by Election day.  why is that too much to ask?  (we
> normally require voters to make up their minds about the content of
> an election by Election Day.)

Voters do need to decide on their voting before Election day, so far
as practical.  This includes plans to rank those they most approve of,
and to leave unranked those they do not want to possibly help get
elected.

Unlike what I read above, I see no need to do anything for those I
leave unranked, beyond deciding on the unranking..