[EM] Remember Toby

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Sat Jun 4 07:45:37 PDT 2011

Dave Ketchum wrote:
> Been a busy day on this thread.  I will try for Condorcet, to sell that
> it can be good and usable by voters without requiring much new
> understanding by them.
>
> Ranking:
>      IRV ranking, learned by many, is a start, with equal ranking a
> trivial addition.
>      Approval voting permissible and usable as valid Condorcet by using
> a single rank number.
>
> How many rank numbers?  Three, as in IRV, is  probable reasonable
> minimum.  More needs thought, but not necessarily many - usability of
> equal ranks minimizes true need for more.

I think some STV countries use ranked ballot types where you write a
number in front of the candidate. The ballot is is then checked using
OCR and forwarded to a manual count if ambiguous. These types of ballot
could permit as many rankings as there are candidates, and seem
reasonably simple as long as the electorate knows how to count.