[EM] Remember Toby

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 13:43:34 PDT 2011

I think that this provision is even better than Forest realized:

> To rule out the smoke-filled-room scenario, candidates' Approval ballots
> must be consistent with their
> rankings of the candidates, which they are required to publish at least a
> three (?) days before the voting
> takes place.

Yes, this reduces the "smoke-filled-room scenario". But it also makes it
easy to calculate who is the Condorcet winner over the given ballots. If
everybody knows who that is, then, as I told Kathy, they win in a strong
Nash equilibruim. In other words, since the point of DYN was
that candidates after the election would have better strategies than voters
before it, this provision increases the information available and so
strengthens that benefit.

I also thought of a name with a cute acronym: SODA, Simple
Optionally-Delegated Approval. It's nice to have an easily-pronouncable,
memorable name like that. (And think of the headlines - "SODA is sweet".
Much better than "Much ado about ODA" or "ODA is DOA").

JQ