[EM] Remember Toby

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:57:51 PDT 2011

Forest,

While I love the complement of "great idea", I still am not 100% sure
if the method is well-defined. I.e. under what condition do all the
Asset voters (the candidates) get to cast their 2nd choice votes for
the voters?  To be fair, wouldn't all candidates who received any
bullet votes have to be allowed to cast 2nd choice votes. But then,
wouldn't that be like voting against themselves?  Or doesn't Asset
voting have similar problems to IRV if only the losing candidates get
to reapportion their votes -- i.e. tending to elect extremist
candidates on the right or left and eliminating centrist majority
favorites because the 2nd choices of some voters (that they've
allocated to their 1st choice candidate) would be hidden during the
counting process?

Please try to unconfuse my thinking on this because I seem to be
convincing myself that simple Approval might be better.  How exactly
are you suggesting this AA method (for Asset Approval) work? Maybe
AA's too much like Alcoholic Anonymous ;-)

If it were me, I would probably only feel comfortable with AA if *all*
the candidates receiving bullet votes had their 2nd rank choice
counted in round 2 - regardless of whether or not it caused their own
loss or not. But that would mean if possibly allowing some candidates
to *not* list any 2nd choice and to bullet vote for themselves, so
that their bullet voters did not receive any asset votes. I'm I making
this too confusing?

Kathy

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

Realities Mar Instant Runoff Voting
http://electionmathematics.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051