[EM] Remember Toby (fsimmons at pcc.edu)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Jun 1 18:01:35 PDT 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Kathy Dopp wrote:

> I agree with everything you've said here re. simplicity etc.
>
> Condorcet with Approval to break Condorcet cycles would be great.
> Simple to explain, precinct-summable with the use of an NxN matrix,
> with N= # candidates and the matrix diagonal available for other data.
> (such as the total number of ballots cast or ?)

Sounds good until you think about Condorcet and Approval arguing as to
what quality is worth ranking.  Approval wants ONLY desirable
candidates; Condorcet can afford low ranks in case all those given
higher ranks lose.

Note that each member of a Condorcet cycle has demonstrated CW ability
vs every non-member.  Thus the cycle members are near to being tied,
and properly compete among themselves for one to become CW.

> I like the idea of using Approval to count all except the last ballot
> position, whatever that would be. In the US, given current voting
> system capacities, that would be counting the first two ranked
> positions.

Attempted recovery - but the voter may, OR may not, have ranked one
that would have been approved if the voter was thinking of Approval
(and, the voter may have ranked only two).

> Upper margin error bounds could probably be calculated for each
> reported Condorcet matrix precinct tally so that selection weights and
> sample sizes could be calculated for post-election manual audits to
> publicly verify the accuracy of the reported election outcomes.
>
> Range voting would be too complex because it involves too much thought
> and strategizing for voters to determine how many relative points to
> give each candidate.

Agreed.

> Some of the other methods for resolving Condorcet
> cycles are too complex for most voters to understand and apply so that
> they can check the calculations.  IRV and STV methods are out, not
> only due to their nonmonotonicity, and their failure to solve the
> spoiler problem, but due to their fundamental unfair method of
> counting ballots which makes manual counting and thus auditing for
> election outcome accuracy virtually impossible.

Agreed.

> We ought to focus on how to make Condorcet/Approval voting
> understandable to the public and to election officials and show how it
> could be used with existing voting equipment, the existing problems
> with plurality it solves, etc.  I could work on developing the
> mathematics of post-election auditing sampling for it when I have
> time.

Not agreed - see above.