[EM] Remember Toby (fsimmons at pcc.edu)

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 08:38:44 PDT 2011

I agree with everything you've said here re. simplicity etc.

Condorcet with Approval to break Condorcet cycles would be great.
Simple to explain, precinct-summable with the use of an NxN matrix,
with N= # candidates and the matrix diagonal available for other data.
(such as the total number of ballots cast or ?)

I like the idea of using Approval to count all except the last ballot
position, whatever that would be. In the US, given current voting
system capacities, that would be counting the first two ranked
positions.

Upper margin error bounds could probably be calculated for each
reported Condorcet matrix precinct tally so that selection weights and
sample sizes could be calculated for post-election manual audits to
publicly verify the accuracy of the reported election outcomes.

Range voting would be too complex because it involves too much thought
and strategizing for voters to determine how many relative points to
give each candidate. Some of the other methods for resolving Condorcet
cycles are too complex for most voters to understand and apply so that
they can check the calculations.  IRV and STV methods are out, not
only due to their nonmonotonicity, and their failure to solve the
spoiler problem, but due to their fundamental unfair method of
counting ballots which makes manual counting and thus auditing for
election outcome accuracy virtually impossible.

We ought to focus on how to make Condorcet/Approval voting
understandable to the public and to election officials and show how it
could be used with existing voting equipment, the existing problems
with plurality it solves, etc.  I could work on developing the
mathematics of post-election auditing sampling for it when I have
time.

Kathy

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

Realities Mar Instant Runoff Voting
http://electionmathematics.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051