[EM] Remember Toby

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 1 03:48:33 PDT 2011

Hi Juho,

--- En date de : Mer 1.6.11, Juho Laatu <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> a écrit :
> > I agree with Kevin that "elect the CW if there is one,
> else elect the
> > candidate ranked (or ranked above last) on the
> greatest number of ballots" is plenty simple, and is much
> > more satisfactory than MinMax or Copeland in other
> respects.
>
> In what sense is the above mentioned "implicit approval
> cutoff" + Approval to resolve is the best "simple" method?
> If compared to MinMax, is it maybe easier to explain to the
> voters, more strategy free, or yields better winners? Would
> an explicit approval cutoff be fine (to allow full rankings
> to be given)?

It is surely easier to explain than MinMax, has more obvious burial
disincentive (especially if the comparison is to margins), and, in my
view, gives comparably good winners to WV, but more attention may need to
be placed on where to stop ranking than under WV. (In practice, I would
not plan to rank any lower than could possibly help me in WV, so I would
probably vote the same under both methods.)

The favorite betrayal incentive is worse than WV though. (This is where
I should plug my ICA method, which satisfies FBC. But it's more
complicated.)

An explicit approval cutoff in this method is not fine at all: You will
lose the burial disincentive. You would be able to try to stop your
opponents from winning as CW without hurting your own candidate's odds
to win that way, and then in the approval count you would not have to
stand by the pawn candidates you voted for. This strategy would only
backfire when too many voters try it and make a pawn candidate the CW.

---

Also, the reason I don't need to see Smith in this method is that unlike
MinMax, where there isn't an obvious justification for failing Smith,
in C//A the second step is a completely different method. If one doesn't
think that Approval can justify itself, then I doubt C//A is attractive
anyway.

Kevin