[EM] Weighted voting systems for proportional representation

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 17:55:22 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm
<km_elmet at lavabit.com> wrote:

> Ah, yes. This leads me back to an older thought that perhaps the criterion
> of summability should be refined for multiwinner methods by turning it into
> two criteria. These criteria would be:
>
> - Weak summability: If the number of seats is fixed, one can find the winner
> of the method according to precinct sums, where the amount of data required
> for these sums grows as a polynomial with respect to the number of
> candidates, and as a polylogarithmic function with respect to the number of
> voters.
>
> - Strong summability: Same as weak, but without the number of seats being
> fixed or known in advance.
>
> To my knowledge, Schulze STV is weakly summable, as is this method, because
> if you fix S, N choose S is bounded by a polynomial.
>
> When people here talk about summability for multiwinner methods, they
> usually mean strong summability, though. This is like SNTV or party list. If
> you have the Plurality counts for SNTV, it doesn't matter how many seats you
> want, you can just read off the n first Plurality winners. Similarly, for
> party list, you can just run the Sainte-Laguë method n times for n seats
> with the same input data.
>
> Do you think weak summability is sufficient to audit multiwinner methods?

Your definitions do not differentiate between the enormous difference
between the difficulty of summing STV vs. the far more summable voting
method you were proposing!  That is an enormous difference -
regardless of whether the number of seats is known in advance or not.
I was only considering contests where the # of seats are known in my
remarks.  Thus, I do not think that your definitions are sufficient
for evaluating methods.

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051