[EM] Weighted voting systems for proportional representation

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 06:05:58 PDT 2011

I agree with Juho's argument that all methods are "summable" these days.
However, I'd suggest a few vaguely-defined related criteria. The general one
is "auditable" - is it possible to gain confidence that the result is
correct through some process besides a full recount? This breaks down into
"human-auditable" (can you gain confidence through some simple arithmetic
process which doesn't require a computer? Such a process can involve
summary-statistics.); and "sampling-auditable" (can you gain an arbitrary
degree of confidence in the result by recounting a random sample of the
votes? Are the sample sizes required "reasonable"?).

STV does pretty poorly on these criteria. Since a tie at any stage can have
extreme effects on later stages; and electing A,B,C is likely to lead to
different results later on than electing C,B,A; the system is "unstable".
The number of possible ties at all stages is order N³, the cube of the
number of candidates. And the voters divide into N camps at each stage.
Thus, in general, if there are fewer than about N⁴ voters, you can expect to
come arbitrarily close to a tie at some stage, which would mean that you
have to recount all the votes to be confident of the result.

Party list systems do the best on all these criteria, because they are
traditionally summable.

Things like Schulze-STV, AT-TV, and SODA-PR fall somewhere in the middle. If
summary statistics of votes are published, there are some easy "sanity
checks" which would catch the clumsier frauds in the counting process. And a
sampled recount would be enough to confirm the validity of these summary
statistics. Some forms of fraud would still take a full recount to detect;
but in general, such frauds would be logistically difficult.

I'm doing a lot of hand-waving in that last paragraph, though. The fact is,
to really be fully auditable in both senses, you need a system which is
summable in the traditional, low-order-polynomial-of-candidates, sense.

JQ