[EM] PR for USA or UK

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 11:45:06 PDT 2011

>  I don't necessarily think sophisticated voters are required in order to
> ensure reasonable PR under PRV. I think as long as you don't get some
> candidates who have much better strategic voters than others, it should do
> OK.

You should read some of Schulze's papers about the history of free riding.
It seems clear from those examples that there are examples of parties with
better or worse free-riding vote-management capabilities. So I would worry
about this distorting results.

>  Separate constituencies do spoil proportionality to an extent, yes. There
> would only be a certain number of seats available in each. If it was six,
> then a party with constant 10% support across the county would struggle to
> get anything. What's the alternative? We could have bigger constituencies,
> but that means bigger ballots, or party lists, but I don't like them. I'm
> not sure I get your district/co-district thing though. In any case, I think
> this is a problem of how we sort out districts/constituencies, rather than
> anything against PRV per se.
>
> Also, I don't get the whole thing about write-ins. Maybe it's a UK/US
> divide thing, but surely if you want to be elected then you stand for
> election. Therefore your name would be on the ballot.

US elections typically have space for write-ins, and occasionally a
candidate who did not make it onto the ballot (most frequently, because they
lost a party primary; but sometimes for other reasons) will mount a "write
in campaign". The current governor of Alaska is one such, I think; or is it
senator?

But in SODA-PR, the "districts", "co-districts", and "write-ins" are merely
a way to avoid ballot clutter. If there are 40 seats being elected at once,
that could easily lead to close to 100 candidates. By only listing the
same-district candidates on the ballot, voters are encouraged to focus on
the few candidates near them. Voters who want more choice can look down to
the candidates from the 1 or 2 "co-districts". And voters who want all the
choices would have to research the candidates beforehand and write-in their
names. It is purely a matter of ballot design; but it would reassure
existing single-district winners that they would still have a "constituency"
under the new system.

JQ