[EM] PR for USA or UK

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 23 17:13:06 PDT 2011

My preferred system of proportional representation is proportional range voting.
Each voter gives the candidates a score and the result are calculated from this.
I have my own system of PRV - http://www.tobypereira.co.uk/voting.html - which I
prefer to Warren's Reweighted Range Voting for various reasons. Mine can also be
converted to a sequential method if computing power deems it necessary.

So we would have geographical constituencies with several seats available in
each, and candidates would be elected accordingly. No need to vote for parties.
You would purely be voting for the candidates in your geographical constituency.

Why range voting? I make an argument here -
http://www.tobypereira.co.uk/voting2.html - but I'll summarise. First of all, I
think that the argument for range ballots over ranked ballots is (even) greater
for PR than it is for single-winner elections. STV with ranked ballots assumes
that you want to get your first choice elected over any number of your next
preferences, and so only when that is settled, will your vote be used further
down your preference list (if it still can be). 1st choice > 2nd + 3rd + 4th.
But it's not as if it can make any other assumption either because that would be
a guess too. Also there's Warren's example here -
http://rangevoting.org/PRcond.html. By submitting a range ballot, you are
indicating how much you like each candidate. Strategy aside, I would argue that
a proportional form of range voting is probably the purest form of PR there is.

So what about strategy? Would strategy ruin the "purity" of proportional range
voting? I don't think it would too much. Unless the voters of some candidates
are better at voting strategically than the voters of others, then I don't see
it as too much of a problem. And no system would be entirely free from strategy.
Specifically under PRV, people might vote down some of their preferences if they
think it's likely they'll be elected anyway. It's a bit of a risk though, so I'm
not sure it would happen too much. If we can trust Warren's Bayesian Regret
figures for single-winner cases and range voting generally comes out on top
there, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to imagine that it might
also come out on top for multiple winners.

And I would argue that more "strategy-resistent" systems generally work by
basically doing the strategy for you, so already give "dishonest" results. So
it's not that they give better results. On my website I give an example where
party A has 68% of the support and party B 32%. There are two seats and so each
party fields two candidates. Assuming everyone would vote approval style, under
my system, they would win one each. Party A would need over 75% of the votes to
win the second seat. I would argue that this is a fair result (75% being bang in
the middle between 50% and 100% - the amount to exactly earn one and two seats).
Of course party A voters could coordinate themselves and split into two factions
of 34% to take both seats, but this would be very hard for them to achieve. STV
(Droop quota anyway) would transfer the votes above the quota accordingly so
that party A would win both seats, and give what I would regard as the less fair
result.

By the way, I tend to think quotas, whether Droop or Hare, all end up being
fairly arbitrary. Droop is supposed to be the "best" because it's supposedly set
as low as possible, but in reality it isn't. It's not as if all
elected candidates ever end up exactly on the quota so unless you have a
moveable quota then it always ends up being too high and more votes could be
transferred away.

I'm probably not acquainted enough with SODA or SODA-PR to give a full argument
against it, but generally I think that voters would regard the idea of giving
their votes to candidates in a delegable manner as just too weird. I'm not sure
people would really get the point of it and would just want to have their own
ranked list of candidates instead (and as we know, ranking isn't as good as
range!) I'm not sure it would give better result than PRV anyway, or even
Proportional Approval Voting (again, my version of it), and I'd have PAV as my
second choice if PRV was deemed too complicated. I don't think it is too
complicated though. It's not any more complicated for the voter than STV, and
scores can be out of a low number if need be. 6 would be fine.