[EM] Breakthrough in political districting algorithms (I think)

Michael Rouse mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Sun Jul 17 13:31:33 PDT 2011

Wow, I haven't thought about space-filling curves for awhile! :)

Back in 1996, I came up with a couple of space-filling curves for the
Fractint L-system. The first one is somewhat similar to Gosper's
Flowsnake, but more jagged. I called it Hextar (hexagonal star). The
second one combined 3 Hextar curves into a closed loop, and in a fit of
creativity I called it Hexter 2.

I'm not sure if you have access to something that will run L-system
files, but here are the instructions for both curves (I kept the
comments intact):

Hextar1 { ; "Hexagonal Star 1" by Michael A. Rouse, 1996
angle 6
axiom s ; to make things start at
s=L     ; order 1
L=LzfR--fR-f++Lf++L-f+Lf+R--y
R=z++L-fR-f+R--fR--f+Lf++LfyR
z=-
y=+
}

Hextar2 { ; "Hexagonal Star 2" ; by Michael A. Rouse, 1996
angle 6
axiom s ; to make things start at
s=Lf++Lf++Lf     ; order 1
L=LzfR--fR-f++Lf++L-f+Lf+R--y
R=z++L-fR-f+R--fR--f+Lf++LfyR
z=-
y=+
}

No clue at all if these will yield any different results from Gosper's
Flowsnake, though. If you can't run L-system files but would like to see
them, I can create an image to show you what they look like, from
order-1 to whatever you want.

Michael Rouse