[EM] [CES #3272] Breakthrough in political districting algorithms (I think)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 12:30:36 PDT 2011

Nice.

Note that one algorithm for simple database proximity queries using a
one-dimensional index for two-dimensional space, is called geohashing, and
it uses the fractal Z "curve". For my work, I've implemented an optimization
of this, which stores each location three times, in three coordinate systems
which are (toroidally) offset by 1/3 of the total dimensions. Aside from the
north and south poles counting as "adjacent" in this system, it works quite
well for quickly finding a set of N points which are among the nearest. If
you are interested in hearing more (sorry, I realize I'm not sufficiently
explaining this), just ask.

JQ