[EM] Has this idea been considered?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 18:08:42 PDT 2011

2011/7/8 Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>

> On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:47 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>
> I'm sorry, but aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh.
>
> I think that people on this list are smart, but this is pathetic. I don't
> mean to be hard on Dave in particular. But why is it impossible to get any
> two of us to agree on anything? I want to make a list of systems which are
>

> 1. Commonly agreed to be better than approval.
>
> Oops, I meant plurality.

> We pretty much agree that approval is a step up from plurality - but most
> of us agree that we want a bigger step - but have trouble agreeing how to do
> that.

It's not an irrevocable choice, it's just an endorsement. It would be great
news if ANY good system were tried in a real, high-stakes single-winner
election.

> .     SODA - for trying, but seems too complex.
>>

> I disagree, but I'm biased. I feel that "approve any number of candidates
> or let your favorite candidate do it for you; most approvals wins" is easy
> to understand. But I can understand if people disagree, so I'm not
> criticizing this logic.
>

> Your favorite candidate for, hopefully, getting elected is not necessarily
> one you would trust toward getting a good substitute elected.

Agreed, although they would be worth trusting more often than not. But the
point of SODA is that it's optional; if you don't trust them, don't delegate
to them.

>> .     Reject Approval - too weak to compete.
>>

> Worse than plurality????????
>

> No - but we should be trying for something better.

Sure, try for the best. But support everything better than what we have.
Because no system will ever be a consensus best, but many systems are
consensus better.

JQ