[EM] What's wrong with the party list system?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 16:33:36 PDT 2011

> My point was to show how the problems of Asset could be fixed and that
> there is a continuum of methods between Asset and basic list methods.

Exactly. And the common advantage is that they simplify the task for at
least some voters, without requiring artificial party divisions. Divisions
and ideologies would still exist, but candidates who didn't fit neatly into
predefined categories would not be frozen out.

Asset-like aspects can also simplify the rules by setting up the right
incentives for the candidates and then getting out of the way. After all,
pure asset is a radically-simple system which is perfectly proportional. Not
that I think that's a realistic reform proposal, but it is a good
demonstration of principle.

JQ