[EM] Condorcet divisor method proportional representation

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 14:57:06 PDT 2011

To be clearer:

> In your scenario 55% of people hate 50% of the winners and 45% hate
> (ranked last) 50% of the winners.  If the Center and Right win, only
> 45% of the voters hate 50% of the winners and everyone else is happy.

In summation:

In your example, applying the Droop quota criteria, 100% of the voters
hate (rank dead last) 50% of the winners.

Looking at all voters' 2nd choices equally, only 45% of voters hate
(rank dead last) 50% of the winners -- a much more palatable outcome
for more voters.

Clearly a larger proportion of people will be more satisfied with the
results of government in your example, without the use of the Droop
quota criteria.

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051