[EM] Condorcet divisor method proportional representation

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 14:51:16 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm
<km_elmet at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Kathy Dopp wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Kristofer.  I ignored the "all* in "all others".
>>
>> I must say then, I simply do not like the Droop quota as a criteria
>> because it elects less popular candidates favored by fewer voters
>> overall and eliminates the Condorcet winners some times. The Droop
>> quota seems to go hand in hand with IRV and STV methods.
>
> Then the question you should ask is where you want to balance
> proportionality and majoritarianism. When dealing with multiwinner
> elections, there are two objectives that work against each other. On the one
> hand, you'd want proportionality, so that variation in the electorate is
> reflected by variation in the assembly or council. That is, you'd like it to
> have members that some people like a lot. On the other, you'd want quality
> across the board, i.e. candidates that every voter can like to some extent.

The questions I would ask are:

1.  how to minimize "unhappiness" of the voters.  (perhaps this is
similar or the same as "Bayesian regret"?), and
2. how to ensure all voters' votes are always treated equally.

In your scenario 55% of people hate 50% of the winners and 45% hate
(ranked last) 50% of the winners.  If the Center and Right win, only
45% of the voters hate 50% of the winners and everyone else is happy.
Also, in your scenario, often the voters' votes are treated unequally
and only some of the 2nd choices of some voters are counted - thus
causing undesirable results  -- on the part of a majority of voters --
on occasion.

I.e. I'm looking at satisfying the most number of voters and fairness,
*and* on proportionality - but a much greater proportion of voters
avoid dissatisfaction by avoiding the Droop quota requirement and
looking at all voters' 2nd choices.

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051