[EM] Has this idea been considered?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 13:10:03 PDT 2011

A system based purely on candidates freely transferring their votes until a
majority (or Droop quota) is reached is called Asset voting. I believe that
Asset voting is a good system, though there are certainly those who'd
disagree. It is also possible - and I'd say desirable - to combine aspects
of Asset with other systems productively. One such proposal,
SODA<http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/SODA>,
is currently my favorite practical reform proposal, something I have real
hopes for. So I'd certainly say you have (reinvented) some good ideas here.

With that said, I can see a couple of problems with this system right off.
First off, bottom-up elimination is probably the worst feature of IRV,
because there is a fairly broad range of situations where it leads
inevitably to eliminating a centrist and electing an extremist, in a way
that can clearly be criticized as "spoiled" (the centrist would have won
pairwise) and "nonmonotonic" (votes shifting to the winner can cause them to
lose). Secondly, a voter has no power to ensure that their vote is not
transferred in a way they do not approve of. This second disadvantage
compounds with the first, because a minority bloc will be eliminated early,
and their votes transferred more than once before the final result.

Cheers,
Jameson