[EM] Has this idea been considered?

Russ Paielli russ.paielli at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 12:52:15 PDT 2011

Hello,

I was somewhat active on this mailing list for a short time several years
ago. How is everyone doing?

I have an idea for a single-winner election method, and it seems like a good
one to me. I'd like to know if it has been considered before and, if so,
what the problems are with it, if any. Here's how it works:

The mechanics of casting a ballot are identical to what we do now (in the US
anyway). Each voter simply votes for one candidate. After the votes are
counted, the last-place candidate transfers his or her votes to the
candidate of his or her choice. Then the next-to-last candidate does the
same thing, and so on, until one candidate has a majority.

The transfer of votes at the close of polling could be automated as follows.
Weeks before the election, each candidate constructs a ranked list of his or
her preferences for the other candidates. The resulting preference matrix
could (should?) be published for the voters to see in advance. The bottom
candidate at each round of transfers would then have his or her votes
automatically transferred to the top remaining candidate in his or her
preference list.

The transfer of votes from the bottom finisher in each round resembles IRV,
but note that this method is "summable" -- a major advantage over IRV,
eliminating the need to maintain a record of each and every vote cast. I
think it may also have other major strategy-deterring advantages over IRV.
What do you think? Thanks.

Russ P.

--
http://RussP.us