[EM] Proportional Range and Approval Voting

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Jul 2 12:37:28 PDT 2011

Toby,

I looked at your paper about proportional range voting.  I like your explanation and insights.

The topic has come up here from time. See for example

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2010-May/026425.html

On Warren Smith's Range Voting site (http://RangeVoting.org) the obvious range generalization of the
sequential version of PAV is advocated because it is computationally tractable even for large numbers of
seats.  He calls it RRV.

A recent discussion of ideas for dealing with the intractability of our non-sequential versions includes

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2011-June/027593.html

Also pointed out in the Mr. Soda thread is the good old idea of using the non-sequential version to
choose from all nominated slates, since the number of nominations can never be large enough to make
the problem intractable.

Andy Jenning's contribution

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2011-June/027482.html

has a link to a survey article that might interest you.

I hope that you continue sharing your ideas with us!