[EM] Proportional Range and Approval Voting

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 2 11:10:16 PDT 2011

Hello. I've read with interest some of the posts in here over the last few
months from the archive so thought I might join and post! I got interested in
voting systems because of the Alternative Vote (or Instant Runoff) referendum we
had in the UK. I didn't think it was much of an improvement over our current
system of First Past the Post (Plurality) and started looking at other systems.

I've always been a supporter of Proportional Representation, with Single
Transferable Vote probably the "main" one that gets talked about, in the UK at
least (and I'm not a fan of party lists). I came across Forest Simmons's
Proportional Approval Voting, which is very interesting, although if you type
"Proportional Range Voting" into Google you get surprisingly little. Anyway, I
looked into Proportional Approval/Range Voting myself and came up with my own
systems of them. (I don't think anyone else has described the same systems -
apologies if they have). So I thought I might see what people here make of them.
http://www.tobypereira.co.uk/voting.html