[EM] Why is wikipedia so biased pro-IRV?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Fri Feb 25 06:28:54 PST 2011

Bob Crossley wrote:
> I defer to Walabio's point about "Fair Votes" as I know nothing about US
> politics but I strongly suspect that they are currently getting a lot of
> support from across the Atlantic.
>
> You may have heard that in May the UK will have a referendum on
> introducing IRV (we call it AV, as you probably know), this being one of
> the trading-chips in the current Conservative/Liberal-Democrat coalition
> agreement.

I'm not a UK politics expert, but it seems this is a minimal concession,
of the sort one would see in negotiation. AV/IRV doesn't really lead to
multiparty systems, if Australia is to be any judge. Instead, you get
two large parties and one middle sized party (as in Australia's Labor
and LibNats), which is an improvement from Plurality, and definitely so
from the point of view of the Liberal Democrats (who could become the
middle sized party).

AV+ or STV/MMP would have been better, but alas.