[EM] Why is wikipedia so biased pro-IRV?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu Feb 24 22:53:48 PST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 9:43 PM, Kevin Venzke wrote:

> I don't think IRV opponents will criticize that IRV is vulnerable to
> strategic voting.

this "opponent" does.  (quotes used because i voted to retain IRV in
Burlington VT last year.)

IRV did not eliminate the burden of strategic voting, but it merely
transferred the burden from the majority block (in Burlington, that
would be Liberals) to the minority block (the Conservatives).  in the
2009 election, there were 1513 "GOP Prog-haters" that found out after
the election that if 429 of them had understood that their guy wasn't
going to win, if just 429 of them had insincerely bumped up their 2nd
choice over their sincere 1st choice, they could have prevented their
least favorite candidate from winning (and their 2nd choice would have
won).  now, if IRV had survived to the next election, what would these
conservative voters be thinking in the polls?  "In this liberal town,
I gotta choose between Liberal and More Liberal, because if I vote for
the guy I really like, More Liberal gets elected."  That is vulnerable
to strategic voting and the strategy is called "compromising".

> Or else IRV opponents can criticize non-monotonicity or other
> things. But, I don't usually see people argue that non-monotonicity
> will be exploited by strategic voters.

it's pretty hard to exploit safely, but we also found out that the
Burlington mayoral election in 2009 (using IRV) was not monotonic
either.  the Prog candidate won the IRV election and if about 745 of
these GOP voters had changed their mind and vote from the GOP
candidate (as their 1st choice) to the Prog candidate, that would have
caused the Prog to lose.  that is clearly non-monotonic.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com