[EM] Why is wikipedia so biased pro-IRV?

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 14:26:41 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Bob Crossley
<bobc1ethelred at btinternet.com> wrote:
> (PS. I'd be interested in links to good research contesting the claimthat AV
> makes tactical voting redundant - although I will vote Yes, I think the
> false claims being made by the Yes camp are dangerous and
> counterproductive).

It makes tactical voting unnecessary in the situation where there are
2 big parties and one or more small ones.

As long as one of the top-2 are guaranteed to win, you can rank the
candidates in any order (assuming you rank at least one of the top-2
somewhere).

Difficulties arise when there are more than 2 potential winners.  In
those cases tactical voting can make you better off.