[EM] Why care about... let's play a game

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 22 17:06:33 PST 2011

Hi all,

> As Jonathan Lundell noted, "burial is a simple, intuitive
> and
> attractive strategy that can be easily employed by
> relatively naive
> voters", and it therefore ought to be allowed so that
> voters can try
> to bury their least favorite mainstream candidate.
>
> Burial ability is a good feature of voting systems, easily
> understood
> by most voters, not a feature to be avoided.

It seems there may be demand for methods which encourage burial. So, I
suggest we have a design competition.

Let's start with this one:
1. Every voter can add a vote to one candidate, and take away a vote from
another candidate. A +1 and a -1.
2. Whoever nets the most votes wins.

(Note: In case it's not clear, you are "supposed" to give the -1 to your
least favorite candidate.)

Who can do better please?

Kevin