[EM] Why care about later-no-harm or prohibiting candidate burial?

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Mon Feb 21 14:29:55 PST 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> HOORAY for thinking!  Too rare around here!

Ms Dopp misunderstands burial. Burial is specifically the ability to improve the outcome for your favorite candidate by insincerely ranking your second-choice candidate last (actually a more general formulation of the same idea). That's why it's a strategy: the voter is motivated to misrepresent their true preferences in hopes of improving the outcome.

Burial works against compromise by encouraging voters to rank the potential compromise candidate last.