[EM] electing a variable number of seats

Michael Rouse mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Wed Feb 16 20:56:25 PST 2011

Do you need to give everyone on the board identical voting power? If
not, a proxy method (where each board member's voting power is directly
related to how many votes he or she received) might work. Candidate A
might have twice the voting power of Candidate B, who might have 30
percent more voting power than C. (You would need more than 3 seats on
the board, though -- if there isn't a candidate with a majority, the
effective voting power of the three members would be the same, since it
would take at least two members of the group to pass something.) There
wouldn't be a fixed number of seats,  since the number above the cutoff
could vary.

You could count first-place votes, and only look at rankings if a
candidate didn't reach a certain threshold and was dropped, and you
needed to transfer the votes to second choices above the threshold.
Allowing the individual power to vary with votes received also gives a
natural hierarchy among members.

Mike Rouse