[EM] Proportional Range Voting via Honest Approval PAV

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sun Dec 25 10:50:06 PST 2011

While writing the below it occurred to me that we could construct another Proportional Representation
method based on ordinal ballots (ranked preferences) by the following technique:

(1)  Convert the ordinal rankings into cardinal ratings via the monotonic, clone free techinque that I outlined
under the title "Borda Done Right" a few months back.

(2) Convert these ratings into approval style ballots via the honest approval strategy.

(3)  Apply PAV to the resulting ballot set.

Here's a brief review of the ballot conversion at the heart of Borda Done Right:

For each candidate C on the ballot in question let p(C) be the probability that a candidate ranked equal to or
behind C would be elected in a random favorite election. Then treating these probabilities as scores,
normalize them to a cardinal ratings scale of zero to one.

[Any other monotone, clone free lottery could be used in place of the random favorite lottery
 in the definition of p(C).]

I would be interested to see some simulations comparing this

ordinal-->cardinal-->approval--->PAV

method of PR with other PR methods based on rankings.

Since all of the steps are monotone and clone proof, the composite method should share these properties
to the extent that PAV does.

My Best to You All on this holiday weekend!

Forest