[EM] Proportional Range Voting via Honest Approval PAV

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sun Dec 25 08:40:50 PST 2011

Now that we have a good definition of honest approval strategy, we can automatically adapt methods
(like PAV) that are based on approval style ballots to cardinal ratings style ballots.

Definition: Honest Approval Strategy: Approve your k top ranked candidates, where k is the sum of
your cardinal ratings (on a scale of zero to one) rounded to the nearest whole number.

So given a set of Range/Score/Grade ballots, first convert them to cardinal ratings on a scale of zero to
one. Then use honest approval strategy to convert these ratings ballots to approval style ballots.
Finally apply PAV (or whatever approval method you like) to determine who gets elected.