[EM] Chris: Regarding the criteriion "failures" you mentioned for MMT

C.Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 16 05:50:04 PST 2011

Mike,

In an earlier message of yours (the last one I responded to) you wrote:

> MAMT is an addition to the list of FBC/ABE methods to choose from.
> People should be looking into its properties. Tell me what you know,
> so far, about its properties, ...

That is almost the only thing I did. You didn't ask me to confine myself
to properties that I personally think are *important* or to explain why
I think they are important.

> You said that MMT fails Later-No-Help:
>
>  With MMT, you can help your favorite by entering into a mutually-chosen,
>  mutually-supported, majority coalition. Everyone supporting that
> coalition
>  does so because they consider it beneficial to their interest.
>
>  How is that a "failure"??

I assume you know what the criterion specifies and are asking me why
meeting Later-no-Help is a good thing.  Failing LNHelp while meeting
LHHarm creates a random-fill incentive. One of the problems with that is
that is unfair to sincere truncators. Why should they be penalised for
declining to play silly games with candidates they don't care about?

Another is that all methods that fail LNHelp are vulnerable to Burial
strategy.

> You said that MMT fails Mutual Dominant 3rd:
>
>  I don't know what that criterion is.

It is a weakened version of Smith that is compatible with LNHelp
compliance (and so Burial Invulnerability) and also compliance with
LNHarm. It says that that if there is a subset S of candidates that on
more than a third of the ballots are voted strictly above all the
outside-S candidates and all the S candidates pairwise-beat all the
outside-S candidates then the winner must come from S.

 From your recent past statements I know I don't have to sell the
desirability of compliance with this to you. I gave this example:

49: A
48: B
03: C>B

I can't take seriously any method that doesn't elect B here. Can you?
Isn't this just the sort of small (probably wing) "spoiler" scenario
that motivates many to support electoral reform?

> You said that MMT fails Mono-Add-Plump:
>
>  I've already commented on that a few times.

Yes, and I obliquely responded to your comment. But to be blunt, if
failure of Mono-add-Plump isn't self-evidently *completely ridiculous*
(and so much so that anything not compatible with Mono-add-Plump
compliance is thereby made a complete nonsense of), then I have no idea
what is.

The only way this view of mine could be dented  (and I made a bit wiser
and sadder) is if it was proved to me that compliance with
Mono-add-Plump isn't compatible with some other clearly desirable (IMO)
property or set of  properties.

This doesn't come anywhere near cutting it:

> Your favorite initially won only because of mutual majority support.
> The plumpers
> declined that mutual support, as is their right. Having declined
> mutual support,
> should it be surprising or unfair if they no longer have it?

Is it "surprising or unfair" that some new voters should in effect have
their ballots given negative weight because they refused to play silly
games with some candidates they weren't interested in and maybe knew
nothing about?

Err....*yes*.

> As Jameson said, the chicken dilemma, also called
>  the co-operation/defection problem, or the ABE problem, is
>  the most difficult strategy problem to get rid of.
>
>  However, there are a number of methods that do get rid of it,
>  while complying with FBC and furnishing majority-rule protection:

> You (Chris) proposed one some time
>  ago. Does it meet the criteria that you require, in addition to
>  FBC and avoidance of the co-operation/defection problem?
>  Can it be worded in a brief and simple, and naturally and
>  obviously motivated way, for public propsal?

I've been distracted and thinking about other things. I'll get around to
addressing those questions, along with my closer look at Forest's MMMPO
method.

Chris Benham