[EM] The Occupy Movement: A Ray of Hope -- in Politics

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Dec 10 22:42:01 PST 2011

Dave Ketchum wrote:
> Write-ins can be effective.  I hold up proof this year.  For
> a supervisor race:
>   111 Rep - Joe - on the ballot from winning primary, though not
>             campaigning.
>   346 Con - Darlene - running as Con though unable to run as Rep+Con.
>   540 Write-in - Bob - who gets the votes with his campaign starting
>                  18 days before election day.

We're floating the idea within Occupy of a primary voting network that
might help by giving independents a leg up.  It would extend not only
across and beyond parties, but also across any number of voting
methods and service providers: (see also the discussion tab here)
https://wiki.occupy.net/wiki/User:Michael_Allan/RFC/Open_voting_network

It's not easy to summarize, but maybe easier from the voter's POV:

   We won't endorse any single provider (monopoly) of primary voting
   and consensus making services.  Instead we'll maintain an open
   voting network (counter-monopoly) in which: (1) no person is
   excluded from participating in the development of alternative
   technologies and methodologies of consensus making; (2) no toolset,
   platform or practice is excluded; and (3) each person may freely
   choose a provider, toolset and practices based on personal needs
   and preferences without thereby becoming isolated from participants
   who make different choices.

None of this is especially difficult (not technically), but it's hard
to imagine how it could ever get started without Occupy.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528
http://zelea.com/