[EM] Fwd: how goes American PR?

Jan Kok jan.kok.5y at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 12:37:21 PST 2011

If Richie/FairVote wants to focus their energy on pushing proportional
representation, that's wonderful! I personally won't "quibble" about
PR methods, and will support and vote for pretty much any PR method.

However, there will always be a need for single-winner methods, for
single-winner offices such as president, governor and mayor.

The US President's power is huge. He can veto bills passed by
Congress, and he can start wars. And now, de facto, can even order
assassinations of US citizens.

So, it's important that we have good single-winner election methods to
make the best possible choices of winners for single-winner offices.

IRV/RCV is a poor method. It can make poor choices of winners, such as
in the 2009 Burlington, VT mayor's race, and is more complicated than
other methods. The complexity makes it difficult to sell to voters,
some of whom are _extremely_ resistant to change. The complexity also
makes it more expensive to count the votes, and makes IRV elections
more vulnerable to fraud. And when IRV gets rejected or repealed, as
it has in several places, it poisons the well, making it harder to
introduce other, better voting methods.

So, as long as there are people pushing IRV, let the quibbling (about
single-winner methods) continue!

- Jan