[EM] This might be the method we've been looking for:

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Dec 3 12:06:12 PST 2011

Chris,

you're right that it is very close to MinMax(margins). Let's compare and contrast:

In both MinMax versions a matrix M is used to determine the winner in the same way:  if the least
number in row i is greater than the least number in any other row of the matrix M, then candidate i is
elected.  [By convention each negative number is less than every positive number, and among several
negative numbers the "most negative" is the least.  So  -6 < -3  <  2 < 5, etc.]

In both methods each entry of the matrix M is the difference betwee two numbers (minuend minus
subtrahend).

The subrtrahend in this difference is exactly the same in both methods.  The subtrahend in row i column
j of M is the number of ballots on which candidate j is rated or ranked strictly above candidate i.

It's in the minuend that the two methods part company:

In MinMax(margins) the minuend of the (i, j) entry is the number of ballots on which candidate i is rated
or ranked strictly above candidate j.

In MinMax(TopTierPairwiseRule) the minuend of the (i, j) entry is the number of ballots on which
candidate i is ranked (or rated) strictly above candidate j plus the number of ballots on which candidate i
is rated or ranked equal top with candidate j.

A third method that I call MinMax(EqualRankPairwiseRule) uses the same subtrahend but defines the
minuend as the number of ballots on which candidate i is ranked both above bottom AND above or equal
to candidate j.

This last method MinMax(ERPR) also satisfies the FBC, and furthermore it nevers gives incentive for
insincere order reversal.

Both MinMax(ERPR) and MinMax(TTPR) satisfy the mono-add-equal-top criterion: if additional ballots
are added with the previous winner ranked top or equal top, the winner is unchanged.

Furthermore, suppose that candidate i is the winner under MinMax(ERPR), and that the least number in
row i of matrix M is -7.  Suppose that this number -7 appears only in columns  3, 9, and 15 of row i.  If a
new ballot ranks candidate i above or equal to candidates 3, 9, and 15, then the method will still elect
candidate i when the new ballot is counted along with the old ones.

Note that in the case of MinMax(ERPR) the diagonal entries (i, i) in the matrix M are the respective
implicit approvals of the candidates, since ranked candidates are ranked equal to themselves but not
above themselves.

All three of these MinMax methods are monotone, but fail clone independence in the same sense that
MinMax(wv) does.  The equal ranking option mitigates this failure.  Perhaps further modifications could
mitigate it more, if not altogether remove it.  For example, incorporating some version of the Cardinal
Weighted Pairwise idea might restore clone independence to the same degree enjoyed by Approval and
other Cardinal Ratings methods.

We can deal with that later.  Meanwhile, with a three slot method, clones tend to get equal ranked a lot,
so the clone dependence is not much worse than it is in Approval.

We need a popular name that can catch on with the public. Any ideas?

Forest