[EM] EM] IRV's adequacy depends on a two-party system

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:49:05 PST 2011

There is a fundamental difference between two-party dominance, which will
probably not change any time soon, and a two-party duopoly. 45%, 40%, 8%,
5%... is dominance; 51% 47% 1%... is duopoly. Any system which gives bad
enough results when there are more than two parties will be a two party
duopoly; and it seems highly possible that that includes IRV. And I think
that many of the current problems, including the outsized power of
"$peech", are inevitable consequences of a monopoly.

David, you believe differently. But your guesses about how things would
work are just that. You can't point to a real-world example. And so, as
you've essentially admitted, we're not likely to believe you until you do
have evidence. Nor, in my opinion, should we.

In other words: You could be right. So stop arguing about this and go out
there and prove it.

Jameson