[EM] More non-altruistic attacks on IRV usage.

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Dec 1 20:33:47 PST 2011

Trying one more time to start a sales pitch for switching from IRV to
Condorcet.

On Dec 1, 2011, at 10:18 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> On 12/1/11 5:14 PM, David L Wetzell wrote:
>>
>>    KM:If the cost of campaigning is high enough that only the two
>>    major parties can play the game, then money (what you call $peech)
>>    will still have serious influence.
>>
>> dlw:My understanding/political theory is that $peech is inevitable
>> and all modern democracies are unstable mixtures of popular
>> democracy and kleptocracy/plutocracy.  To bolster the former, we
>> must accept the inevitability of the latter.  This is part of why I
>> accept a two-party dominated system and seek to balance the use of
>> single-seat/multi-seat elections and am an anti-perfectionist on
>> the details of getting the best single/multi-seat election.  Deep
>> down, I am skeptical of whether a multi-party system improves
>> things that much or would do so in my country.
>
> i am thoroughly convinced that a multi-party (and viable
> independent) system improves things over the two-party system.
> besides the money thing, i just cannot believe that exhausting our
> social choice to between Dumb and Dumber is the lot that a
> democratic society must be forced to accept.  what was so
> frustrating during Town Meeting Day in 2010 (when the IRV repeal
> vote was up), it was another choice between Dumb and Dumber.  and,
> as usual, Dumber prevailed in that choice.  nobody seems to get it
> (present company excluded).  added to the result of the 2000 prez
> election and, even more so, the 2004 result, the aggregate evidence
> is that American voters are stupid.  incredibly stupid.  and a large
> portion of Burlington Democrats were stupid to join with the
> GOPpers, the latter who were acting simply in their self-interest to
> repeal IRV.  and the Progs were dumb to continue to blather IRV
> happy talk as if it worked just fine in 2009.

Voters know ranking from IRV (except equal ranks are permitted).
Voters can rank as many as they approve of (and SHOULD get told they
are not required to rank any others they would not want to have win).
BIG deal is ability to rank both choice among likely winners, and own
best choice, and use strongest ranking for the one you like best.

Big difference from IRV is that counters read all that the voters
rank.  From this the counters produce the x*x matrix that anyone can
learn to read and see how close any third parties are getting to
becoming winners.

When there are one or more strong third parties such can win, or
become part of a cycle among the strongest candidates.  Not likely to
happen often but cycle members were each close to winning.  There are
multiple Condorcet methods to support the various ways cycles may get
resolved.