[EM] More non-altruistic attacks on IRV usage.

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu Dec 1 19:18:32 PST 2011

On 12/1/11 5:14 PM, David L Wetzell wrote:

>     KM:If the cost of campaigning is high enough that only the two
>     major parties can play the game, then money (what you call $peech)
>     will still have serious influence.
>

> dlw:My understanding/political theory is that $peech is inevitable and
> all modern democracies are unstable mixtures of popular democracy and
> kleptocracy/plutocracy.  To bolster the former, we must accept the
> inevitability of the latter.  This is part of why I accept a two-party
> dominated system and seek to balance the use of single-seat/multi-seat
> elections and am an anti-perfectionist on the details of getting the
> best single/multi-seat election.  Deep down, I am skeptical of whether
> a multi-party system improves things that much or would do so in my
> country.

i am thoroughly convinced that a multi-party (and viable independent)
system improves things over the two-party system. besides the money
thing, i just cannot believe that exhausting our social choice to
between Dumb and Dumber is the lot that a democratic society must be
forced to accept.  what was so frustrating during Town Meeting Day in
2010 (when the IRV repeal vote was up), it was another choice between
Dumb and Dumber.  and, as usual, Dumber prevailed in that choice.
nobody seems to get it (present company excluded).  added to the result
of the 2000 prez election and, even more so, the 2004 result, the
aggregate evidence is that American voters are stupid.  incredibly
stupid.  and a large portion of Burlington Democrats were stupid to join
with the GOPpers, the latter who were acting simply in their
self-interest to repeal IRV.  and the Progs were dumb to continue to
blather IRV happy talk as if it worked just fine in 2009.

> dlw:Burlington's two major parties would not be the same as the two
> nat'l major parties.
David, we don't have two major parties.  we have three.  the Dems may be
the least of the three, but they're centrist and preferable to the GOP
than are the Progs and preferable to the Progs than are the GOP.  but
they are literally "center squeezed".  that is precisely the term.

>  Republicans would vote Democrat in Burlington mayoral elections.
if forced to.  but they would like to give their own guy their primary
support.  IRV promised them that they could vote for their guy and, by
doing so, not elect the candidate they hated the most.  and in 2009, IRV
precisely failed that promise.

it not a tug-of-war with a single rope and the centrists have to decide
whether they get on the side of the GOP or the side of the Progs.  the
idea of having a viable multi-party election and a decent method to
measure voter preference is a joined, three-way rope going off in
directions 120 degrees apart.  Progs get to be Progs, Dems get to be
Dems, and GOP get to be dicks (errr, Repubs).  we know, because the
ballots are public record, that the outcome that would have caused the
least amount of collective disappointment is not the winner that the IRV
algorithms picked, given the voter preference information available and
weighting that equally for each voter.

> KM:So why would IRV improve things enough over Plurality? That
> verdict, too, has to come from somewhere.
>
> dlw: more votes get counted in the final round than with FPTP.  Thus,
> the de facto center is closer to the true center
i dunno what you mean by "de facto" or "true" center, but neither was
elected in the Burlington 2009 example.  (but, again, favoring the
center more than the wings is not why Condorcet is better than IRV.  it
is because of the negative consequences of electing a candidate when a
majority of voters prefer an different specific candidate and mark their
ballots so.)

> and third party candidates can speak out their dissents and force the
> major party candidates to take them seriously.
well, here the third party won, against the expressed wishes of a
majority of voters.  i do not agree with the GOPpers that IRV was a
method taylor made to elect the Progs, it's there to make a three-party
system work which means that third parties have a good change and win
(or lose) on their merits, not because they are perceived (or not) as
electable.

>  Why not look at the total number of cities that have adopted IRV and
> see what a small fraction have had buyer's remorse?
doesn't look good, David.  Cary NC, Aspen CO, Pierce Co WA, Ann Arbor
MI, Burlington VT.  it's a damn shame that reform advocates didn't think
this out a little in advance and sell the ranked-choice ballot tabulated
by Condorcet instead of Hare.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com