[EM] Jameson: ABE approaches

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 27 13:39:24 PST 2011

Jameson:

I'd said:

> There are at least two ways of achieving those goals (If
> there are additional ways, then describe them, starting with their
> motivation and principle).

You replied:

You neglect to mention the third way: delegation and sequential
assignment, as in SODA.

[endquote]

Yes, that's true. My list only included the ballots-only-based approaches.

I'd acknowledged that SODA avoids the problem too, but, sure, in order for a
list of ABE approaches to be a list of all the ABE approaches, it should
include SODA.

Each solution-approach has been criticized on some grounds or other.

It's difficult to know which things would put the public off. Only polling
could answer that question. I've only asked a few people.

I described,to someone, ABucklin, MTAOC, MMT, GMAT, MMTA and SODA.

That person rejected ABucklin as too elaborate and wordy, and so that person wouldn't
accept MABucklin either. That person rejected MTAOC, GMAT and SODA for the same reason,
(and because of SODA's departure from ballots-only custom), and, of the ABE approaches
other than those I posted today, only accepted MMT and MMTA.

Of course those method-rejections and acceptances weren't based on a study of how
the method would do, but  were only comments about whether they were sufficiently
briefly-defined.

But there's no doubt that approach #3, the optional faction-size requirement, would
be proposably simple and brief.

I admit that I haven't talked to many people. Two people rejected ABucklin, but liked
MTA and Approval--but they aren't ABE-avoiding methods.

I certainly don't claim that my few conversations show that SODA isn't publicly winnable.
Questions about public winnability are still guesswork.

That's why it's necessary to consider all approaches that work adequately (and SODA, of
course does), and eventually do some polling &/or focus groups, regarding public
acceptability.

I don't think that any FBC/ABE method should be ruled out at this point, unless it
can be shown that it doesn't work well. SODA would work fine.

Mike Ossipoff