[EM] Approval Strategy

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Dec 24 08:56:41 PST 2011

Mike,

I agree that the gut feelings for the hope and fear terms are more important than subjective estimates of the
individual factors in these products.

Also, going back to what you metioned before about the value of showing support for losers that you like
better than the winner (given they have the chance of the proverbial snowflake), I think that this is perhaps
the main rationale for extending approval all of the way down to the candidate most likely to win (and
include that candidate only if the runner up is below it).  [That's another way to state strategy A.]

Of course, LeGrand also has strategy B, C, etc.

Joe's strategy in the zero information case reduces to "approve exactly half of the candidates and flip a
coin if the number isn't even."  Obviously this is not as good as the gut feeling method for the candidates
near the approval cutoff.

Also the validity of using strategies based on maximizing expected outcomes depends on the opportunity
for repeated play.  Arguably there are cases where this consideration cannot be entirely compensated for
by adjusting the utilities.  Unquantifiable gut feelings are doubly important in these copntexts.

And I like Jobst's idea of calling the zero-info method described below "the honest approval strategy."

Jobst wrote