[EM] The meaning of a vote (or lack thereof)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 06:25:31 PDT 2011

> Dave Ketchum wrote:
> > NOT true, for the vote, without the voter's vote, could be a tie - and
> > the voter's vote mattering.
>
> That notion of effect has several drawbacks:

...all of which merely serve to minimize its practical importance, not to
assail its mathematical validity.

> ...  But if we (this is my
> hope) can cogently demonstrate this failing to the experts in this
> list, especially in terms of the voting mechanisms they understand so
> well, then they will be more open to drawing the larger conclusions
> that seem so obvious to you and me, and I daresay others in this list.

I've been trying to avoid entering this sub-thread, as I think it's mostly
angels-on-pinheads stuff, but if you actually have a point, I suggest you
make it, rather than portentiously musing on how it depends on a
supposedly-proven, but still-debated claim.

Jameson Quinn