[EM] the "meaning" of a vote (or lack thereof)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Aug 27 16:19:19 PDT 2011

On Aug 27, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Michael Allan wrote:

>>> But not for voting.  The voting system guarantees that my vote
>>> will have no effect and I would look rather foolish to suppose
>>> otherwise.  This presents a serious problem.  Do you agree?
>
> Dave Ketchum wrote:
>> TRULY, this demonstrates lack of understanding of cause and effect.
>>
>> IF the flask capacity is 32 oz then pouring in 1 oz  will:
>> . Do nothing above filling if the flask starts with less than 31 oz.
>> . Cause overflow if flask already full.
>>
>> In voting there is often a limit at which time one more would have
>> an effect.  If the act were pouring sodas into the Atlantic the
>> limit would be far away.
>
> Please relate this to an election.  Take an election for a US state
> governor, for example.  Suppose I am eligible to vote.  I say my vote
> cannot possibly affect the outcome of the election.  You say it can,
> under certain conditions.  Under what conditions exactly?

Conditions surrounding elections vary but, picking on a simple
example, suppose that, without your vote, there are exactly nR and nD
votes.  If that is the total vote you get to decide the election by
creating a majority with your vote.

Or, suppose a count of nPoor, 1Fair, and nGood and thus Fair being the
median before you and a twin vote.

If such twins vote Poor, that and total count go up by 2, median goes
up by 1 and is now Poor.

If such twins vote Good, that and total count go up by 2, median goes
up by 1 and is now Good.

Note that single voters get no useful power in an election for
governor, but a majority voting together do have the power (by
combining their votes) to decide the election.

Dave Ketchum