[EM] the "meaning" of a vote (or lack thereof)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Aug 24 13:43:44 PDT 2011

A SAD weakness about what is being said.

On Aug 24, 2011, at 12:55 PM, Fred Gohlke wrote:

> Michael Allan wrote:
>  "But not for voting.  The voting system guarantees that my vote
>   will have no effect and I would look rather foolish to suppose
>   otherwise.  This presents a serious problem.  Do you agree?"

TRULY, this demonstrates lack of understanding of cause and effect.

IF the flask capacity is 32 oz then pouring in 1 oz  will:
.     Do nothing above filling if the flask starts with less than 31 oz.
.     Cause overflow if flask already full.

In voting there is often a limit at which time one more would have an
effect.  If the act were pouring sodas into the Atlantic the limit
would be far away.

> To which Warren Smith responded:
>  "--no.  A single ballot can change the outcome of an election.
>   This is true in any election method which is capable of having
>   at least two outcomes."
>
>   Proof: simply change ballots one by one until the outcome
>          changes.  At the moment it changes, that single ballot
>          changed an election outcome. QED.

BUT there could be many previous ballots of which none made any change.

> Since, as stated, "A single ballot can change the outcome of an
> election." and "This is true in any election method which is capable
> of having at least two outcomes.", why would a voter prefer a new
> electoral method over the existing plurality method?
>
> From the voter's perspective, (s)he is already familiar with
> plurality, so , if the new method produces the same result, why
> change?

Truly no reason PROVIDED the new method provides the same result,
given the same input.