[EM] Voting reform statement; a clearer and more inspiring version

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Aug 24 13:25:07 PDT 2011

I was attempting to use your post-feedback statement as an indication of
what methods to include in what I wrote, yet I am not familiar with the
variations on Bucklin voting beyond what I read in Wikipedia, so I am
certainly open to your suggested edits.

Just as you created a version that you expected to change as a result of
feedback, I too expect that what I wrote will be changed.  As I
suggested in another response, I think it would be appropriate to post a
Google Docs version for you and others to edit. (In another response I
suggested some additional paragraphs, and those can be inserted into the
Google Docs version.)

I too welcome collaboration in this effort to create a declaration.
After all, the whole point of voting methods is to use a well-defined
process for arriving at a collaborative decision; in this case we do not
have a well-defined process, but basically we are voting for a
declaration most of us like.  As in voting, everyone deserves an
informed vote in the process.

Speaking of which, I suggested using our signature lines as a way of
indicating which declaration-named election method we most prefer, and
that's a way of voting.  It will be interesting to see which supporters
of which methods sign the document.

Admittedly that will place IRV proponents in the awkward position of
being tempted to sign it so they can indicate their support for IRV.

0   0
\___/

(I wouldn't be opposed to IRV if there was widespread recognition that
it uses the right kind of ballot but the wrong kind of counting.  One
average-person reaction to this concept was "I didn't know there was
more than one way to count a ballot".)

Richard Fobes