[EM] Voting reform statement; a clearer and more inspiring version

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Aug 24 12:05:19 PDT 2011

What those considering, or later doing, Condorcet voting should
consider.  Fred's last principle, about participation, caught my eye.

Those writing of Condorcet voting often promote formally ranking all
candidates (the least liked retains its position even if the only one
not formally ranked).  I read that as excessive since it goes against
the principle by demanding more effort than useful in properly
choosing as winner. To clarify:

Assuming a voter has found ranking A to be satisfying "the full extent
of the individual's desire and ability", then ranking only A is a
proper vote and would have the  same effect as a similar vote in
FPTP.  Note that in FPTP voters often are tortured by wanting to vote
for more than one, but being unable to.

Assuming a voter has found A & others to be equally satisfying "the
full extent of the individual's desire and ability", then ranking them
alike is a proper vote and would have the  same effect as a similar
vote in Approval.

Assuming a voter has found A & B, with A preferred, to be satisfying
"the full extent of the individual's desire and ability", but showing
preference by ranking both with A higher than B is doable here, though
not in FPTP or Approval.

Combinations of the above ranking are permitted, leaving as many as
the voter may choose at the bottom (unranked) level.

Dave Ketchum