[EM] Voting reform statement; a clearer and more inspiring, version

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Aug 24 12:49:35 PDT 2011

To Ralph Suter, thank you for your extremely useful feedback!

You are the kind of person who is in a position to use our declaration
as (for lack of a better metaphor) ammunition in the battles against
plurality voting. The fact that you like it reveals that we are on the
right track.

The fact that you do not find the declaration to be too long is very
helpful!

I like your idea of emphasizing that these election methods first should
to be used in non-governmental organizations as a way of educating
voters about what works, and what doesn't.  This approach could have
prevented the situations in which instant-runoff voting was adopted and
then rejected.

For this purpose we can add paragraphs such as:

------ begin ------

"The same election methods we recommend here for governmental elections
also can be used for electing officers (such as president, treasurer,
and secretary) in an organization.  In fact, all(?) of the methods
recommended here have been used for officer elections, and the fairer
results have been widely appreciated (except by incumbents who were not
reelected)."

"We unanimously agree that plurality voting should not be used to elect
corporate board members.  As a replacement we support using the same
election methods that we recommend for governmental elections.  If legal
restrictions only allow plurality voting, we unanimously support legal
reforms that allow any one (or more) of the election methods supported
here."

"The above-recommended election methods also can be used in any
organization to make single-choice decisions, such as choosing a new
logo, choosing a time or date for an event, and choosing a restaurant
for a gathering.  However, if one of the choices is to not make a change
(such as not changing the organization's logo), then two rounds of
voting are needed, with the first round choosing the most popular
change, and the second round choosing between that change and not making
any change."

"Although instant-runoff voting is not being recommended for
governmental elections, instant-runoff voting is useful when a small
group of people is physically gathered together and does not have access
to voting software.  In this case paper-based ranked ballots can be
collected and then physically sorted into stacks based on the ballot's
top-ranked remaining choice.  Until one of the ballot stacks contains
more than half the ballots, the smallest remaining stack of ballots can
be re-sorted based on the voter's next-ranked choice.  This approach is
much fairer than plurality voting."

------ end ------

Regarding your comment about 1-2-3 ballots, verbally I have used that
name numerous times and it seldom produces the glazed and baffled look I
get when I use words like ranked ballot and order-of-preference ballot.
  In other words, I have been testing it with success.  Yet I agree that
there might be a better name.

I agree that the term "pairwise" would benefit from further explanation.
  Yet I suspect that if I had done so in the first draft, there would be
criticisms from supporters of non-Condorcet methods claiming that the
declaration is biased in favor of Condorcet methods.

Your feedback reveals that this declaration accomplishes what I had
hoped it would accomplish, namely that it would be useful to the many
people who want election-method reform, but either don't know what would
work (and what wouldn't work), or do know what would work but need
evidence (they can give to others) to support their beliefs.

Again, thank you!

Richard Fobes