[EM] Voting reform statement; a clearer and more inspiring, version

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Aug 24 11:28:51 PDT 2011

On 8/24/2011 6:39 AM, Markus Schulze wrote:
> ... in my opinion, the "Voting Reform Statement"
> endorses too many alternative election methods.
> Opponents will argue that this long list
> demonstrates that even we don't have a clue
> which election method should be adopted.
>
> Markus Schulze

I agree it would be advantageous to shorten the list of supported
election methods.  However, the methods you and I would remove are
supported by other potential signers, and they would want to remove what
you and I support.

As someone (Jameson Quinn?) earlier said, we are "splitting the vote" in
our opposition to plurality voting.

Ironically, as election-method experts, we know we can't even vote on
what to include in our recommendation list, because we wouldn't be able
to agree on which voting method to use, and which choices to rank or score.

My software negotiation tool at www.NegotiationTool.com attempts to
provide a way to resolve such disagreements, but so far I haven't
received any feedback about that tool from election-method experts.

Richard Fobes