[EM] Voting reform statement

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Aug 15 21:07:31 PDT 2011

Strategy thoughts:

Assuming as candidates, Good, Soso, and lice:  My preference is G but
S is better than any lice.  Thus I desire to vote for both G and S
with G preferred.

Plurality - can not vote for both.  On days when I expect G to
certainly lose I vote for S to protect, as best I can, against lice.

Approval - can vote for both but this can cause G to lose.  Simple
rules and a bit better than plurality.

IRV - can vote for both.  Vote counting is both much labor and can
fail to elect G even though best liked, if this is not seen by the way
the counters look at the ballots.

Range - can vote for both.  After giving G top rating, S has a
strategy headache: Rate S high and risk S winning over G; rate S low
and risk S losing to lice.

Condorcet - can vote for both and show clear preference for G over S.